About Me

Hello, world! 
My name is Owen Kelly, and I am a 20 year old Psychology major living in Anchorage, Alaska. Despite having a lifelong draw towards art, I've somehow neglected to take an art class beyond elementary school in my now fourteen year long academic career. I'm excited to document my christening experience through this blog, and be able to share and understand your experiences too. I really look forward to learning and creating with you all!


Aya Takano, The World in Two Hundred Years, 2017, oil on canvas

    So much of my daily life is the consumption and appreciation of art. Even when you don't recognize it, so much consideration has gone into the design of every facet of human life. Art is the clothing you find at a thrift store, and the scratched Fergie CD in your mom's center console. The sunset photos you share to Instagram and the LEGO set in your little brother's room. I try to express myself and my creativity through every avenue possible. 

    

I love fashion, and I spend a lot of time curating my closet and considering what I'll wear. I keep up to date with runway when I care enough, and I will go down Youtube rabbit holes about brands, styling and whatever else pretty often. To name a few favorites, Marc Jacobs' Heaven collection is amazing, Balenciaga is, in my opinion, a pioneer of fashion for the new age, though far too expensive for me to own. Rick Owens' philosophy of life and design is very intriguing as well, and his work is well loved for good reason. I chose a video of him talking about the art in his home, how it's designed and how it revolves around his creative process. I also love photography, though I am pretty casual about it, and it mostly manifests as taking photos in passing which document my life through my iPhone camera. Occasionally, I'll also do portraits of my friends for Instagram. I also run a Tumblr blog for fun centered around photography and fashion, which I'll spend time curating whenever I'm bored. I've started teaching myself to make music on GarageBand and now Logic over the past year, as I've always had an intense appreciation for music, something I definitely got from my Mom. My wall is plastered with booklets and posters from my CD and (more recently) vinyl collection. So not to ramble too much longer, I must say, creative expression is something I try to practice a lot, and I'm still learning what and how I enjoy being creative most. Creation can be very cathartic for me, and I love it. I bathe myself in my favorite art as much as I can though, because I feel like it's very inspiring. 



Comments

  1. You have such a variety of creative and artistic pursuits. I haven’t looked into Marc Jacob’s fashions. I am only acquainted with his perfume and makeup line. Lisa Kljaich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! That painting you chose to share is beautiful! Look forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Modern Era: The Visual Artists of the Harlem Renaissance

Baroque Analysis: Caravaggio's Ecce Homo